You’ve decided to give yoga a try but you don’t have a mat. Since this is a new thing, you buy the least expensive mat you can find at Target, Marshall’s or Ross. Fifteen dollars later and a pretty design on your brand new yoga mat and you’re off to your first class.
But wait! You’re sliding all over the place. Your feet are slowly sliding away from each other. “Forget about alignment! I just want to stay on my mat. I’m not ready to do the splits!” This is a slippery yoga mat!
Here Are 3 Simple Solutions to that Slippery Yoga Mat
White vinegar is the answer to so many of life’s problems, including a slippery yoga mat. Yes. Really!
- First, put your yoga mat in the washing machine on a warm water cycle.
- Pour in 1-2 cups of white vinegar.
- Don’t use more than ¼ tsp. of soap! Your mat is like a giant sponge and it will be difficult to get the soap out of the mat.
- Hang it to air dry or put it on the “no heat” cycle in the dryer.
Water and Baking Soda is a good combination to rid your slippery yoga mat of the slip and slides
- Take 1 cup of warm water
- Mix in 1 tsp. of baking soda
- Using a sponge, wipe down both sides of your yoga mat
- Rinse in the bath tub, shower, or use a hose
- Air dry or fluff dry in the dryer
Clean That Dirty Yoga Mat
Think about it! You sweat all over that dirty yoga mat numerous times a month. When was the last time you cleaned that dirty yoga mat? Yuck!
Make a Spray To Clean Your Dirty Yoga Mat After Each Use or Weekly
- Pick an essential oil you like. Peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, orange blossom, lemon are good ones for cleaning. They smell fresh and clean. But choose one you prefer.
- Mix 3 parts distilled water with one part white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Add 10-20 drops, or more if you like the smell, of your choice of oil(s) to over power the vinegar smell.
- Shake the bottle, spray onto your mat.
- Then, wipe down with a clean cotton cloth.
- Voila! Your mat is clean and fresh!