by Liza Janda AAHCC, E-RYT 200, RPYT and Birth Guru
You don’t have to suffer with constipation in pregnancy! There are some easy solutions to this problem.
- Lemons are your secret to a happy to start to every day! Squeeze fresh lemon juice into a glass of water. It’s best to squeeze about one or two tablespoons. You can heat the water or drink it room temperature. If it’s too bitter for you, add a little Stevia to taste. Before you eat or drink anything else in the morning, drink this concoction down and you’ll soon be sauntering to the bathroom to start your day off just right.
- Another drink to get things moving is a tea made with Dandelion Root. You can buy this tea anywhere teas are sold. If you start your day with this tea, it stimulates a slow digestive system and constipation in pregnancy. It can tend to be a bitter tasting tea, so just add some Stevia or some good Maple Syrup to taste. Another great benefit is that it can help reduce any swelling or water retention.
- If you’ve got a juicer, a Vita mix, or a Ninja blender, throw in some green veggies like a handful of kale, 1 cucumber, and an apple. Add some fresh grated ginger and yum! Drink it right away for the best taste.
- Fruits and vegetables are 90% water and that helps your digestion whether you’re pregnant or not. So eat up! Try citrus fruits, apples, peaches, and grapes.
- The simplest solution, of course, is to make sure you are drinking enough water daily. The general recommendation is 64 ounces-more if you exercise-about 8 oz. for every 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise. Drinking water with electrolytes in it will help your body absorb what it needs. You can buy packages of electrolytes and add it, or some waters already have it added. That extra fluid can help end that awful constipation in pregnancy, so you can enjoy this special time growing your baby.
Go to Birth Class Online to download your FREE Healthy Birth Guide-6 steps to a safer birth