FEAR AND ANXIETY CAN BE POWERFUL ENEMIES HOLDING YOU BACK FROM ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS.
1. Write down your fears about labor and birth.
I want _____________________________, but I’m afraid_________________________.
I would like to________________________ but ________________ scares me.
I’m afraid I will _____________________________________________________.
I feel__________________________________ if my _______________________________.
Add more of your own thoughts fears or anxieties. Write them down and look at them.
2. Look at the list you’ve created. Ask yourself:
- Where do these ideas/fears/anxieties come from?
- How do these make you feel? Or how do you react emotionally or physically?
3. BRAINSTORM ideas- even crazy ones! Be Creative.
Don’t execute your plan.
Don’t worry about it.
Just outline it.
I can do the following things to help prevent my fears about labor and birth from manifesting:
(I’ll begin with a few suggestions – use them if you want or ignore them and come up with your own)
- Read books about pregnancy, labor and birth
- Sign up for a childbirth class – HOSPITAL, BRADLEY METHOD, HYPNO BABIES, BIRTH BOOT CAMP, HYPNO BIRTHING, INTERNATIONAL CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION ASSOCIATION – replace fear with knowledge
- Practice relaxation exercises and breathing
- Read birth stories online
- Hire a doula
- Ask friends what they wish they knew before labor or before they became a mom
- Create an intention for your birth and write it down.
NOW ADD YOUR OWN LIST OF IDEAS
4. TAKE SMALL STEPS to overcoming fears about labor and birth.
You only have to take that first step.
Finished that one?
Okay, now take the second step.
One at a time.
5. Focus on the Positive. Expect the best and plan to be flexible.
Don’t manifest your fears about labor and birth by focusing on them. Keep your heart, mind, and eyes on the intention for your birth. As you take each step, be conscious of your fear(s), but glue your attention to the steps, one at a time, in order to reach your goal. One at a time.
One at a time. One at a time. One at a time.
6. BREATHE DEEPLY