Just this week, one of my Bradley Method and Prenatal Yoga students asked me if I had any blog posts about vaccination. I said I did not, mainly because I know little to nothing about vaccinations. Also, it’s a really, touchy subject. I’d rank it up there with circumcision, abortion, gun control, Donald Trump, and Hillary Clinton! No thanks. I’ll avoid that conversation.
So I will not give you an uninformed opinion. But I will give you information so you can do your own research and you can make your own informed decision. The opportunities to sign a waiver, get a medical exemption, or opt out of vaccinations for any reason, are getting less and less in California. But here is an article for anti-vaxxers (as they are called in this article) Anti-Vaxxers Have A Plan To Get Around California’s New Vaccination Law. And this is the link to the state law requiring vaccines. Below you’ll find many resources and more information on immunizations.
Questions to ask your pediatrician regarding vaccinations:
- Why get vaccinated?
- Who should get the vaccine and when?
- Who should not get the vaccine or who should wait?
- What are the risks from the vaccine?
- What if there is a moderate or severe reaction to the vaccine? What should I do?
- Is my child sick right now?
- Has my child had a bad reaction to an immunization before?
- Does my child have a personal or family history of:
- Vaccine reaction
- Convulsions or neurological disorders?
- Severe allergies?
- Immune system disorders?
- Do I know if my child is at a high risk of reacting?
- Do I have full information on the vaccine’s side effects?
- Do I know how to identify a vaccine reaction?
- Do I know how to report a vaccine reaction?
- Do I know the vaccine manufacturer and lot number?
THE AAP’S STATEMENT on immunizations:
“One very important step in ensuring the health of any child is to make sure he or she receives immunizations at the correct time. Whether it’s a childhood MMR vaccine or an adolescent pertussis booster, these simple procedures can save lives – and AAP is here to answer any questions you may have about childhood immunization.”
Lists of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases:
AAP – Vaccine Safety
Many parents worry about the possible side effects of vaccinating their child and if their child really needs all those shots.
AAP info re: thimerosal http://www2.aap.org/immunization/families/ingredients.html#thimerosal
Pro/Con Information: Pro/Con – http://vaccines.procon.org/ The Leading Source For Pros & Cons Of Controversial Issues
So what if your child does have a bad reaction? What do you do? Whom do you contact?
- THE NATIONAL VACCINE INJURY COMPENSATION PROGRAM:
1-800-338-2382 , http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/
- Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System VAERS is: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Surveillance/AdverseDrugEffects/
Books on Immunizations Pro/con:
- The Medical Assault on the Immune System by Viera Scheibner, PhD.
- Make an Informed Vaccine Decision for the Health of Your Child: A Parent’s Guide to Childhood Shots by Mayer Eisenstein
- The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child by Robert W. Sears, M.D., F.A.A.P.
From America’s most trusted name in pediatrics – an indispensable, comprehensive, most up-to-date guide for parents facing the childcare question of the decade: “Should I vaccinate my child?” Dr. Sears provides an in-depth look at each disease/vaccine pair, presents reasons both for and against administering each vaccine, and offers the essential tools for making informed decisions about your child’s health.
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children’s Vaccinations
By Stephanie Cave, MD, with Deborah Mitchell. An important resource that respects parents’ intelligence and encourages them to be equal partners with doctors in deciding which vaccines their children should get and when they should get them.
- Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent’s Guide
Aviva Jill Romm. Written by an herbalist and midwife, this is a lucid, reader-friendly presentation of a controversial topic. “The best book I’ve seen on the subject. Its commonsense, non-hysterical approach assures legitimate and informed consent.” Peggy O’Mara
- The Panic Virus: A True Story of Medicine, Science, and Fear by Seth Mnookin
· Deadly Choices: How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatens Us All by Paul Ofitt
This information does not substitute for a care provider-patient relationship and should not be relied on as personal medical advice. Any information should not be acted upon without professional input from one’s own healthcare provider.